Searching the Global Medicine Network
This section gives detailed instructions on searching the Global Medicine Network for individuals or organizations.
The network is divided into two main categories, individuals and organizations. Each of these categories can be searched by a variety of different criteria. For example, organizations may be searched by where they work or the type of activities they perform. Individuals may be searched by criteria such as country, language, skill, or interest in participating in activities like lectures or research. Once you have registered, you can use your username and password to search the network to find individuals or organizations of interest to you and contact them.
For example, suppose that you are interested in finding pediatricians for work in a clinic in a developing country. To do this, you might:
- Log on under the “Member Login” area at the top left of the globalmedicine homepage by placing your username and password in the appropriate boxes and clicking on “Go”. (Reminder: your username is the email address you gave when you registered, and the password is the word you chose at that time. If you have lost your password, just click on “Forgot your password” and it will automatically be emailed to you.) Once you have logged on, a new page will appear with several options.
- Click on “Search the network by individuals”
- Next, click on “Occupation or skill”
- Under the Doctors menu, scroll down (using the up/down arrows on the right side of each menu) to find “pediatrician.”
- Click on pediatrician once so that it is highlighted (the background around the word pediatrician is darkened).
- Now scroll down to the bottom of the page using the slider bar on the very right hand side of the screen. When you get to the bottom of the page you will see a button called “Search Now”.
- Click on “Search Now.”
- A list of pediatricians who have registered themselves in the Global Health Network will now appear. You can now read the profile of many of these individuals by clicking on their name.
- After reading about someone, you may choose to click on their email and invite them to help you at your clinic.
To give another illustration of how to use the network, let us suppose you need contacts in a particular country, in this example, India.
- Again, you log on at the top left of the globalmedicine homepage using the password and username you used when you first registered on the network.
- Click on “Search the network by individuals.”
- This time, click on “Country”
- Under the Country menu, scroll down (using the up/down arrows on the right side of the menu) to find India.
- Click on India once so that it is highlighted (the background around the word India is darkened).
- Click on “Search Now.”
- A list of Indian members of the Global Health Network will now appear. You can now read the profile of many of these individuals by clicking on their name.
- After reading about someone, you may choose to click on their email to contact them directly.